Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wellness Wednesdays With Lauren: Nike + ipod


I completed a half marathon last November, and yes I'll be the first person to brag about it!  It was an amazing experience and I plan to run the same race next year.  But, I'm thinking about adding a new training accessory - the Nike + iPod Sport Kit. 

The first time I heard about this accessory I didn't really "get" what it was and decided I could pass. Well, after some digging there is no way I could survive in the running world without this thing!   Not only does it keep track of your time and calories, but it tracks your distance (excellent for long runs) and allows you to download your data to the web and analyze it over weeks or months.  From there, the NikePlus website connects you with other runners for encouragement and friendly competition, across the world.  Plus, a trainer speaks to you throughout the workout to motivate you and it gives you access to music that you can program to keep you moving through tough workouts.  So, when you are feeling low, you can program your favorite song to play to pump you up.  My personal favorites right now are Untouched, by The Veronicas or Lisztomania, by Phoenix. 

If you are thinking about starting to run or are already a competitive runner, I highly recommend purchasing the Nike + iPod Sport Kit.  The shoe sensor and iPod receiver are only $29.00 at Amazon.  However, I think the down side is that you have to purchase specific Nike Shoes (more $$$) and that your iPod plus receiver will not fit in a traditional arm band.   I'm thinking, even despite the extra cost, this item is a MUST for 2010.

As an added bonus - check out "The FITNESS Top 100 Workout Songs"

xoxo
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment